Saturday, March 10, 2007

Varkala - The beach!

We arrive in Varkala by train, a short trip from Trivandrum.

Varkala town is a little village but a 5 min rickshaw bring us to the cliffs and our hotel (and a thousand others). The cliffs are adjacent to the Arabian sea. There are numerous ayervedic spas, restaurants and hotels lining the cliff looking down on to the beach. Its really paradise with loads of palm trees everywhere and a serene lack of traffic.

Our hotel pool in Varkala
The Papanasham beach at Varkala is quiet, clean and secluded and grew into prominence and caught the attention of tourists only recently. A long sandy beach, towering red cliffs and soothing mineral springs put Varkala in the not-to-miss category.

Papanasam is a perfect place to watch the sunset or relax gazing at the horizon. The area is covered with coconut palms and small restaurants that are more expensive than most places we have been but it caters for the tourists as they far outweigh the Indians in this part of town.Our hotel is the nicest we have had yet and the bonus is that it has a pool. Handy in 35 degree heat! Varkala beach and cliff

Our days are filled with nothing, waking up to palm trees swaying in the wind, late breakfasts and lying by the pool. We go swimming in the sea in the late afternoons and watch bond films everynight (currently we are going thru the Roger Moore years - my favourites!)


One of the days we ventures into town, i haven't shaved since Ive been here so I'm off to find a barber The other reason is that Indians are now speaking to me in Hindi so I want to look like a foreigner again. i speak to the guys in charge of the shop and agree a price - 50 pence. I sit down and all of a sudden I'm been lathered up by a kid not not old enough to shave himself . I'm shitting myself... 3 weeks of solid growth, sharp blade and a kid who hasn't shave having a go at my face! Anycase, after asking me first if i want to keep my mozzi (i considered the option). he gives me a proper working over with a face message and all but before he finished he sprays my hair wet and I'm thinking what has this got to do with a shave?.. he grabs a comb and gives me the Indian style - Swiss style comb over side parting hairdo!!! I cant contain my laughter and i nearly double over in a fit. No wonder all Indian men look the same!


We are really chilled out and spend a little time with our new friend Andreas and his family as we keep bumping in to them.. this place is small and most of the tourists have left so its really easy and peaceful. The only irritation is a familiar pattern - and the title of our blog, and my next post - Look my shop!

The juice shack.. many hours spent here!

No comments: